Jones filed the motions Friday, saying the judge’s pretrial decisions resulted in an unfair trial and “a material miscarriage of justice.”
HARTFORD, Conn. – Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has asked a Connecticut judge to overturn a nearly $1 billion judgment against him and order a new trial in a lawsuit brought by Sandy Hook families who say they committed harassment and threats Jones’ lies exposed about the 2012 Newtown shooting.
Jones filed the motions Friday, saying Judge Barbara Bellis’ pretrial decisions resulted in an unfair trial and “a material miscarriage of justice.”
“Furthermore, the amount of damages awarded exceeds any rationale based on the evidence presented at trial,” Jones’ attorneys, Norm Pattis and Kevin Smith, wrote in the filing.
PREVIOUSLY: Alex Jones ordered to pay $965 million for Sandy Hook lies
Christopher Mattei, an attorney for the 15 plaintiffs in the lawsuit against Jones, declined to comment on Saturday’s filing but said he and other attorneys for the Sandy Hook families will file a brief filing against Jones.
Twenty first graders and six educators from Sandy Hook Elementary School died in the attack on December 14, 2012.
An FBI agent responding to the shooting and relatives of eight children and adults killed in the massacre sued Jones for defamation and inflicting emotional distress for spreading the false narrative that the shooting was one of ” Crisis Actors” staged hoax to impose more gun control.
Six jurors in Waterbury, Connecticut, on Oct. 12 ordered Jones and his company Free Speech Systems to pay the plaintiffs $965 million in compensatory damages and said punitive damages should also be awarded. Bellis has scheduled hearings early next month to determine the amount of punitive damages.
RELATED: Is Alex Jones condemning the death of disinformation? Unlikely
During the trial, the victims’ families, in often emotional testimonies, said they had been threatened and harassed for years by people who believed the lies told on The Jones Show. Strangers would show up to the families, take them in and confront them publicly. People have hurled offensive comments on social media. Relatives said they received death and rape threats.
The verdicts came after another Texas jury in August ordered Jones and his company to pay nearly $50 million in damages to the parents of another Sandy Hook child who was killed. A third trial over the hoax claims, involving two other parents of Sandy Hook, is expected to take place in Texas later this year.
Jones, who has admitted in recent years that the shooting took place, has blasted the lawsuits and court cases on his Austin, Texas-based Infowars show, calling them unfair and a violation of his rights to free speech.
But he lost his right to present that defense when Connecticut and Texas judges ordered him to pay damages without a trial for Jones’ repeated failure to turn over some evidence, including financial documents and website analysis, to Sandy Hook’s attorneys.
With liability already established, litigation in both states focused only on how much Jones should pay in damages.
Pattis, Jones’ attorney, wrote in Friday’s filing that there was a lack of evidence directly linking Jones to the individuals who harassed and threatened the Sandy Hook families. Pattis said the process resembled a “memorial, not a trial.”
RELATED: Infowars sales soar as Alex Jones talks about Sandy Hook
“Yes, the families in this case suffered terribly at the murder of their children,” Pattis wrote, adding that Jones did not send people to harass and threaten the families.
“No competent evidence was offered at this trial that he ever did,” he wrote. “Instead, there was a shocking abuse of a disciplinary omission and its conversion into a series of half-truths that misled a jury and resulted in significant injustice.”
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/nation-world/alex-jones-seeks-new-trial/507-f180263b-bca7-45b1-8e5a-63f98c895cab Alex Jones is seeking a new trial following a $1 billion Sandy Hook verdict