Russian President Vladimir Putin’s mobilization errors are mounting as an official announced on Friday that about 10,000 falsely mobilized Russians were being returned home.
Russian Colonel-General Andrei Kartapolov said at a meeting in St. Petersburg that since Putin announced his partial mobilization order on Sept. 21, about 10,000 people across the country have returned to their homes “for various reasons.”
According to Kartapolov, who is also the chairman of the Defense Committee of the State Duma, in cases where a citizen is accidentally called up, a court case occurs.
Putin’s mobilization decree is intended to target up to 300,000 reservists and ex-military personnel with “certain military specializations and relevant experience.”
The Russian President claimed on October 14 that “all mobilization activities” in the country would be completed in about two weeks.
“This work is already coming to an end,” Putin said at a press conference in Astana last week. “There are now 222,000 mobilized in troop formations out of 300,000.”
“Nothing else is planned in the foreseeable future,” Putin said.
Putin himself has acknowledged that “mistakes” were made in his partial mobilization.
Reports have surfaced of ineligible men being called up for military service. A Moscow government official drafted under Putin’s mobilization decree was killed in Ukraine last week despite having no combat experience.
Some conscripted Russians died before reaching the battlefield, while others died shortly after being deployed to Ukraine.
Timur Izmailov, a 33-year-old Raiffeisen Bank employee who was mobilized despite allegedly being entitled to a leave of absence, was killed in Ukraine, his lawyer Konstantin Erokhin said on Thursday.
According to Erokhin, he was one of the main IT specialists at the bank and was mobilized on September 23. He was deployed to the front lines on October 7 and was killed in action on October 13.
The lawyer claims that Izmailov, due to his high-ranking position, according to the
Meanwhile, the BBC’s Russian service quoted other service members as saying that new recruits without prior training are being sent to Ukraine to fight.
Anger at Putin’s mobilization order is also growing across the country, while officials are being fired over mobilization failures.
State Duma Deputy Alexander Khinshtein announced on Sunday that the Russian National Guard has been deployed in a number of cities, including Moscow, over “intensified attacks” on military registration and enlistment offices.
Max Bergmann, the director of the Europe program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said news week that he believes Putin will continue to “throw Russian men in the meat grinder” while the war rages on.
news week has asked the Russian Foreign Ministry for comment.
https://www.newsweek.com/putin-mobilization-failures-conscripts-return-home-russia-1753834 Putin’s mobilization failures pile up as 10,000 conscripts return home